Swindon, Marlborough & Andover Railway 0-4-4T No.4, in a siding by the original loco shed at Swindon Town about 1885. A Fairlie patent design, in which both the driving wheels and trailing wheels were mounted on bogies for maximum flexibility. On a good day, she could perform excellent work, albeit at the price of high coal consumption, but problems with supplying steam to cylinders mounted on a flexible bogie meant that her reliability was very poor. She was badly damaged when she broke a spring while entering Marlborough station in 1889, was never repaired, and was sold for scrap in 1892.
Back tothe thumbnail pictures