What's left of the line?

(i) Sundry:
- M&SWJR track chair at Winchcombe Railway Museum
- Bridge number 187 (the bridge at Withington station), a whistle, posters and sundry paperwork at Winchcombe Railway Museum
- Timetables, The 1923 Absorption Report, M&SWJR station plans from 1923, a M&SWJR sign and a SM&A cast iron sign at Didcot Railway Museum
- The grave of Sir Sam Fay, the greatest General Manager of the M&SWJR, is located at All Saints Church, Awbridge
- Cookham Manor the loco that was used for the SLS Railtour on 10/9/1961 is at Didcot
- 'U' Class 31816 that travelled on the line is at the Bluebell Railway
- City of Truro that travelled the line is at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway
- Locomotive 'Tidworth' used in Tidworth Garrison, renamed 'Sir John' is at the Gwili Railway
- Locomotive Woolmer used at Tidworth Garrison is at 'Locomotion'
- 'Molly' used at Tidworth is now at the Alderney Railway awaiting scrapping
- The share and debenture registers from the SM&A and M&SWJR are at Steam Museum as is Swindon Town's enamel platform sign and many pictures and timetables
- The M&SWJR seal can be seen at Steam Museum
- Sundry pictures at Cricklade Museum

(ii) Andoversford and Dowdeswell to Withington:
- Andoversford Junction Signal Box diagram at Winchcombe Railway Museum
- The stone wall of the old A&D station building next to the A40 road
- The old road bridge next to the Frog Mill pub, now sitting idle following the rerouted road

(iii) Withington to Chedworth:
- Enamel station platform sign for Withington at Winchcombe Railway Museum
- Withington station platforms and bridge now overground with trees
- Chedworth Woods concrete buffer stop
- An enamel bridge number between these two stations still in situ, but looking very old now
- Bricks with 'Stonehouse Glos' strewn around on the floor under bridges
- The tell tale sign of the line being doubled by the difference in brick work under the bridges

(iv) Chedworth to Foss Cross:
- Enamel station platform sign for Chedworth at at Winchcombe Railway Museum
- Two boundary markers in the field behind the site of Chedworth station, now a private house
- Chedworth tunnel now bricked up

(v) Foss Cross to Watermoor:
- Station building, platforms and bridge sides at Foss Cross now covered in trees and bee hives!
- A remaining piece of the bridge at the north end of Watermoor station still in situ

(vi) Watermoor to South Cerney:
- Tank trap blocks from the platform in the Watermoor roundabout area
- Line of trees with a protection order on them at the Watermoor station area
- A multi arched bridge 600 yards or so north of South Cerney station

(vii) South Cerney to Cricklade:
- Three multi arched bridges south of South Cerney station area
- The pedestrian underpass on the site of Cricklade station, now going under the main road

(viii) Cricklade to to Blunsdon to Moredon:
- Canopy Columns and Ironwork at the Swindon & Cricklade Railway
- Cricklade Station Running in Board at the Swindon & Cricklade Railway

(ix) Moredon to Rushey Platt:
- A footpath that was the line runs under a number of bridges including one taking trains from Swindon to Gloucester

(x) Rushey Platt to Swindon Town:
- Rushey Platt Junction Signal Box sign at Winchcombe Railway Museum
- Rushey Platt high level platform still in situ on the footpath from Swindon Town to Rushey Platt
- The Wilts and Berks canal bridge that the line went over on its 1 in 75 climb up to Swindon Town

(xi) Swindon Town to Chiseldon:
- Swindon Town station area is now an industrial estate
- The old M&SWJR Head Office 'The Croft'. Haines Watts accountants work out of the building now. The main room within the building has railway track on the ceiling instead of beams holding up the floorboards above
- Sutrans have recently cleared and opened a path to Chiseldon from Coate Water along the old track bed

(xii) Chiseldon to Ogbourne to Marlborough:
- Chiseldon station sign at Winchcombe Railway Museum
- Chiseldon station area is now a green and car park next to the Elm Tree pub
- Next to the curb stones at the side and junction of New Road and Station Road, Chiseldon, there can be seen the stones still in situ from the top of New Road bridge. The cutting has been filled in completely
- Chiseldon Museum in Butts Road opened by Time Team's Phil Harding in August 2004 has a number of pictures on show of the line through Chiseldon
- The Chiseldon to Marlborough railway path takes walkers through the remains of Ogbourne station with wooden staircases up the sides of the embankments in the station area still in situ
- In a field to the west of Chiseldon Halt is the platform used in WWI. It is 500 feet long by 40 feet wide. Mr Shales the late farmer planted trees on it so that it would be very difficult to destroy

(xiii) Marlborough to Savernake:
- Marlborogh Tunnel, now bricked up on both sides and a bat sanctuary
- Cadley Clay Shootng Range is now on the site of Savernake Sidings where the explosion happened on 2/1/1946. It is open the last Sunday in the month. A bridge is located on the site

(xiv) Savernake to Grafton:
- Savernake High Level station building now a private house with the 1898 water tower and a signal box still in situ
- Beeching Villa opposite the Forest Hotel in Savernake where Harold Trotman lived who worked the refreshment rooms at Marlborough Low Level station
- The Forest Hotel where the idea and plans for the Swindon Marlborough and Andover Railway were hatched
- Wolfhall Junction across the Kennet and Avon Canal where many bridge sides are still in existence. A lovely walk possibly to Crofton Beam Engine and then to Wilton Windmill for some real ground flour. Near the windmill was the site of Dodsdown Brickworks that had a two mile standard guage line across the fields from 1902-1910 to take bricks to Grafton station and then onto Tidworth to build the garrison. The fields still have bits of bricks used to construct the line dotted around the fields
- A circular sign that says '8 Tons' on a road south of Wolfhall Junction. This is because a bridge went over the line, but when the canal was dredged a number of years ago the silt was placed in the cutting causing the land to level out. The sign has never been removed

(xv) Grafton to Collingbourne Kingston:
- Grafton station house and lamp house still in situ, but now a private dwelling. It was up for sale in 2006 for 725,000. I don't know how things turned out

(xvi) Collingbourne Kingston to Collingbourne to Ludgershall:
- Apart from bridges and the station house still in situ in Collingbourne not a lot remains. There was no station at Collingbourne Kingston only a halt (I think built in 1932). The house that tickets could be purchased from is still there oppposite St Mary's church after the first house was hit by a plane in WWII
- A footpath exists along the stretch from Collingbourne to Ludgershall recently walked along by the Railway Ramblers in July 2006 and written about on the internet
- The original Tidworth Road bridge to the north of the station in Ludgershall is still in place, but another larger road bridge was built in 1998. The original bridge is now a footpath
- A Ludgershall platform can just been seen and the Prince of Wales Hotel is still in situ next to Station Approach. It is now flats
- A military line still exists from Ludgershall to Andover. Last railtour along this stretch was March 2003. Time for another one I think

(xvii) Ludgershall to Tidworth:
- Only embankments and a Tidworth station entrance pillar still exist on this stretch. There is a pedestrian underpass that was used by the army to get from one side of the barracks to another, but this was filled in and houses built on top of it a couple of years ago

(xviii) Ludgershall to Weyhill:
- A storage and distibution company are on the site of Weyhill sidings. The base of the station building can still be seen from inside the compound as can one of the platforms

(xix) Weyhill to Andover:
- A Weyhill station sign and signal box sign exist at Andover Museum
- The Weyhill station masters house is still in situ to the south of the station on the main road
- Red Posts signal box is now just a pile of bricks at the side of the main line
- The M&SWJR loco shed at Andover has been removed and a storage and transport firms buildings placed on the site
- The front of Andover station building hasn't changed much in the last 100 years

Back to home page